Business desktops are evolving for the first time since the birth of the PC and the Windows operating system. Some of these technologies may soon find their way into parts of your enterprise. Trends like desktop virtualization, application virtualization and Software as a Service are changing the way that IT professionals must think about traditional desktop configurations and management. The new desktop is here -- are you ready?
In the New Enterprise Desktop e-book, we'll look at some of the trends that may change the face of desktop computing and lead to new application-delivery methods, including virtual desktop infrastructures, mobile devices, SaaS and self-service application stores.
Chapter 1: The Desktop Virtualization Recipe
This chapter, written by Don Jones, focuses on the following:
- The distinction between presentation virtualization and virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI)
- Some inherent problems with VDI
- Different ways in which vendors deliver virtual desktops to clients
- Managing applications in a VDI
- How to create the right virtual desktop technology blend to meet your enterprise's needs
This was first published in October 2010