Access your Pro+ Content below.
VMware and Citrix put gloves on, customers prep for winning products
This article is part of the Modern Infrastructure issue of May 2014, Volume 3, Issue 5
After 17 long years, VMware and Citrix are finally bringing some much-needed competition to the application delivery market. I've been working in IT since 1995, and I was involved with my first Citrix project in 1997, running Citrix WinFrame, for those old enough to remember that product. One of the interesting things about the Terminal Server/Citrix application delivery market is that Citrix has always had a monopoly. Sure, smaller competitors such as New Moon (now ProPalms), Provision IT (now Dell vWorkspace) and 2X popped up over the years, but when it came to Terminal Server-based session hosting, Citrix owned more than 95% of the market. (Citrix WinFrame became MetaFrame, then Presentation Server, and finally XenApp.) In 2006, VMware entered the market with virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), and Citrix responded by creating XenDesktop. But VDI deployments never gained more than 2% or 3% enterprise desktop market share, with the remaining 97% or so using setups based on Terminal Server/Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH) ...
Access this PRO+ Content for Free!
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Features in this issue
IBM's SoftLayer acquisition gave an adrenaline shot to Big Blue's cloud ventures. SoftLayer CEO Lance Crosby talks IBM's new cloud strategy.
Hyperconverged systems are succeeding converged infrastructure products as the latest in all-in-one data center offerings.
Software-defined environments moved from concept to shipping products recently, so it's time to learn about SDN vendor offerings and their roadmaps.
In-memory processing is faster, and vendors are innovating to make in-memory database technology cheaper and better.
Columns in this issue
As SaaS and IaaS offer services for pricing transparency in monthly bills, shrouded costs may be the death of traditional IT.
Whether Horizon 6 or XenApp is better doesn't matter; the longer VMware and Citrix duke it out, the better both products will be for customers.